Monday, October 14, 2019

Rehashing Some Brews At Hashbrews Café Bistro


"Life's supposed to be an adventure, a surprise!" - Anton du Beke


I’ve been meaning to visit the place for a long time. I first noticed it when I was on my way to Cebu IT Park one evening. It looked like one of those American diner-type cafés in the 60s or 70s similar to the one we had here in Cebu back in the 90s. While I was able to have a bottle or two some time ago at the place, but I was really able to get the feel of the place. I finally got the chance one Friday evening, which is timely since I was craving a brew of a different kind.

Interior of Hashbrews Café Bistro with tables and chairs
Rehashing Some Brews At Hashbrews Café Bistro

Hashbrews Café Bistro

Hashbrews Café Bistro has been on my to-go-to list ever since I noticed it over a year ago. My curiosity was further piqued after I saw their Facebook Page. The pictures of their food, particularly their burgers had me salivating at the thought of taking a bite at them. My initial perception was an American diner-type of place. And when I first visited the place around a month ago, it had that diner vibe with the framed drawings and sculptures (not sure what you call them since I’m no artist). The bar also had a good inventory of drinks from whiskeys to rums and tequilas. But I’m more interested in their food, which was what attracted me to the place.

Rehashing Some Brews At Hashbrews Café Bistro
Hashbrews Café Bistro Coat of Arms

When I saw the pictures of their burgers posted on their Facebook Page, it not only piqued my interest, it also had me wanting to drop by the place. But as they say, fate had a different plan. When I got the chance to grab a bite at the place, I ordered something else . . . their Grilled Pork Belly with Rice.

Grilled Pork Belly with Rice at Hashbrews Cafe Bistro
Grilled Pork Belly with Rice

Food

While I was really looking forward to their burgers, their Grilled Pork Belly with Rice actually tasted great. In fact, I would have ordered an extra serving of rice if not for my so-called minimal-carb diet. But if I ate it at lunchtime I would likely order two extra servings of rice. So I guess fate was right to compel me (introvert mode activate) to ask for the house specialty rather than order the burgers, which I wanted in the first place. Aside from the burgers and Grilled Pork Chop, the place also offers a good variety of food items, including Beef with Onions, Beef with Broccoli, Fried Chicken (overheard someone saying this was good), Grilled Blue Marlin Steak, Sizzling Bangus, and everyone’s favorite, the Sizzling Sisig.

Grilled Pork Belly with Rice at Hashbrews Café Bistro
Grilled Pork Belly with Rice 

Appetizers while on a drinking binge aka pulutan, they Hashbrews offers Sauteed Hungarian Sausage and Mushrooms, Breaded Chicken Strips, Spring Rolls, and Bacon (who doesn’t love bacon?). The place also offers a good selection of soups and noodles, including the Chicken Mami, Cream of Chicken, Tinolang Isda, and Lomi, which I noted was served in a humongous bowl (I overheard the other table ordering this).

Interior of Hashbrews Café Bistro with tables, chairs, and bar area
Interior of Hashbrews Café Bistro
If you are into vegetables, you may want to order the Ampalaya with Egg, Chao Pat Chin, or the Chopsuey. Their All-Day-Breakfast menu includes the Corned Beef, Beef Tapa, and Longaniza, all of which are served with two eggs and rice or bread. Pancake lovers will be keen on ordering their Classic Pancake with Butter and Maple Syrup or the Waffle with Bacon and Egg. For a taste of Italy, they also have the Spaghetti Bolognese, Creamy Pesto Pasta, and Carbonara. So Hashbrews offers everything for everybody.

Price

When it comes to prices, Hashbrews has a rather competitive price range. For their starters or appetizers, prices range from PhP99 for the Fried Pusit (Squid) Platter up to PhP205 for the Calamares. Their Main Courses have prices between PhP165 for the Sizzling Sisig and PhP450 for the Bagnet. The Soup and Noodles of the place have prices ranging from PhP135 for the Sweetcorn Soup up to PhP295 for the Sinigang Isda. Vegetable lovers can look forward to prices between PhP95 for the Ampalaya with Egg and PhP185 for the Chao Pat Chin. The price of the pasta at Hashbrews is from PhP165 for the Pasta Pomodoro up to PhP195 for the Spicy Danggit Pasta. Fruit Shakes are priced at PhP95 for the Banana Shake up to PhP145 for the Banana & Mango Shake, while sodas cost PhP55 each.

Menu of Hashbrews Café Bistro with food and prices
Menu of Hashbrews Café Bistro

If you want to have breakfast . . . in the evening, you can have them at PhP165 for the Corned Beef with rice and egg up to PhP175 for the Beef Tapa with rice and egg. Beer prices are between PhP50 for the Pale Pilsen and PhP75 for the Smirnoff Mule. And last but not the least, the price of their burgers and sandwiches are quite competitive from PhP125 for the Ham and Egg Sandwich up to PhP185 for their Hashbrew’s Cheese Burger.

Menu of Hashbrews Café Bistro with food and prices
Menu of Hashbrews Café Bistro

Location

Hashbrews Café Bistro is located on the ground floor of Northwinds Hotel along Salinas Drive, Lahug, Cebu City. It’s a short walk away from the Cebu IT Park and close to some of the best restaurants the Lahug area has to offer.

Getting There

If you are coming from Ayala, you can get on a jeepney headed for Lahug (04M) and tell the driver to let you off at Northwinds Hotel. You can immediately see the place when you turn towards the hotel. You also have the option of getting on a Beep bus and get off at IT Park. You can ask any guard in the area to point you in the direction of the hotel. You can also ask the guard to point you to where Chikaan sa Cebu restaurant is located. You can either ride a jeepney or walk towards the place (it’s probably a five- to ten-minute walk away). The café bistro is right across the restaurant. If you are coming from SM City Cebu, you can get on a jeepney headed for the Cebu IT Park and tell the driver to let you off at Chikaan sa Cebu restaurant.


Interior of Hashbrews Café Bistro with tables, chairs, and bar area
Interior of Hashbrews Café Bistro
While I was not able to take a bite off their burgers, Hashbrews is definitely one of the places I will not think twice of visiting on any given Friday night.

PS: The place has a live acoustic band playing on Friday and Saturday evenings. If you are overflowing with confidence in your bathroom voice, you can also ask if you can sing your heart’s out with the band.

No comments:

Post a Comment